Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
marduk

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 602
Reply with quote  #1 
So far, I am pleased with the fights that have been on this streaming network since I've had the free month trial. Name is kinda dorky (pronounced da-ZONE) but whatever, they could call it the Soy Sauce Testicular Cancer McMuffin channel and I wouldn't care.

The Joshua-Povetkin tussle was entertaining enough a couple weeks back, and the Saturday card had quite a few good ones. Artur Beterbiev kept his perfect record that way, no defeats and all KO's, but the Scotsman Johnson put him on his rear for a moment in round 2. He couldn't close the deal -- Beterbiev seemed to recover fast -- and the Montreal-based Chechnyan stepped it up to close the curtain in the fourth. Watch this guy and you'll see part of the reason he's had so few fights over the last couple years...he's had promotional issues a la Ward but he's just got scary power and can box well too. You know Stevenson, even though they're both in the same city, will avoid him as long as possible, but he might meet a comparably powerful Russian (Gvozdyk) in a few weeks that could very well leave the ring with his belt.

Also in the I-don't-think-anyone-wants-to-fight-him camp is Big Baby Miller. Yeah, he just about decapitated a faded Tomasz Adamek, who was giving up a ton in height, weight and reach and really deserved a better end to his career, but with Miller's size (6'4", 317 lbs., 78 inch reach) there wasn't much chance for a way shorter, older and lighter guy. He doesn't look insanely Butterbean like fat either and with that much weight behind even his jabs it's gonna get your attention.

Couple of guys made pro debuts too. One (Nikita Ababiy) was super fast and won in the first round, but the other (Nkosi Solomon) got owned even though he was a highly decorated amateur. Looked like an even smaller Wilder to me and got cut down by a Gulf War vet who was only on his 4th fight and just fought like he had nothing to lose.

Reception via the Fire Stick was lag free, no buffering whatsoever, and I had that thing on for nearly 5 hours straight (6-11 pm). There were even more fights on the next morning beginning at 7:30 am (live from Tokyo), but the only one I caught was the second straight 1st round KO that Naoya Inoue put on an opponent. You look at this kid and have to laugh that such a babyfaced kid is nicknamed The Monster...and then you watch him fight and go 'uhh he's lethal'. This was a quarterfinal, I believe, of the bantamweight WBSS, and although he was seeded 2nd I feel sorry for the next guy he fights.

I may keep this network beyond the trial month. It's only $9.99, and I'll be honest, it's looking like everything cable-wise is gonna come unbundled in my house, with this being one of the a la carte channels. They have a good lineup of boxing coming in the next couple months, including the next Joshua fight in January, and they also have MMA as well as soccer and cricket(!) for anyone who likes that sort of thing.

Since HBO plans to end its boxing cards by year's end, and after Game of Thrones airs I don't have any other shows of theirs I care about, they might get the pink slip too.

(Ok, wait...I might give Season 3 of True Detective a chance since it's got Mahershala Ali as the lead and he's a national treasure acting wise)
0
marduk

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 602
Reply with quote  #2 
Another solid card this past Saturday (11/10). Usyk vs. Bellew turned out to be a good fight. The old lion held off the younger, more powerful Ukranian until those stiff left jabs started to sting and Usyk closed the show in the 8th with a one-punch KO.

If Usyk moves up to heavy from cruiser he will need to, as he says, 'eat more pasta', but he's proven to be a lethal, undaunted stalker who waits patiently and puts a bow on it if he can. Only 5 guys out of 21 have seen the final bell with him and there's nothing left for him to do at cruiser after unifying all the belts. At 6'3", 200 lbs, he'd be a little small at first but he has the skills and speed to cause bigger, slower guys to be at a potential disadvantage.

Again I say that DAZN is worth the ten bucks a month if you like boxing or MMA. Every weekend there's a solid card of some sort on Saturdays and at what amounts to 2.50 per weekend you can't bark about the price. No issues with buffering either. They're making some serious money moves in locking up fighters so as HBO relinquishes its coverage they are filling the void quite adequately.

My question for anyone on here who can answer this is: can you install apps like this on your smart TV or do you have to get a Roku or Fire Stick? I have a 10 year old 50" Panasonic plasma but I'm going bigger and newer for Christmas. The Fire Stick has served me well so if I have to go with it on the new one, no biggie.


0
grafikdetail

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 862
Reply with quote  #3 


instead of just using one universal OS… each TV manufacturer has their own proprietary operating system for their TVs… but some use the more open source & most popular Android TV… so if you get a TV, i'd try to get one that runs Android TV… it will give you more options on what apps you can install on it

luckily DAZN left no stone unturned with their app development… 
their website says it will work on Samsung, LG, & Android TVs, and Vizio is in the works… it also works on PS4 & XBox

https://my.dazn.com/help/what-are-dazn-supported-devices
0
peezy28

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,445
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marduk
Another solid card this past Saturday (11/10). Usyk vs. Bellew turned out to be a good fight. The old lion held off the younger, more powerful Ukranian until those stiff left jabs started to sting and Usyk closed the show in the 8th with a one-punch KO.

If Usyk moves up to heavy from cruiser he will need to, as he says, 'eat more pasta', but he's proven to be a lethal, undaunted stalker who waits patiently and puts a bow on it if he can. Only 5 guys out of 21 have seen the final bell with him and there's nothing left for him to do at cruiser after unifying all the belts. At 6'3", 200 lbs, he'd be a little small at first but he has the skills and speed to cause bigger, slower guys to be at a potential disadvantage.

Again I say that DAZN is worth the ten bucks a month if you like boxing or MMA. Every weekend there's a solid card of some sort on Saturdays and at what amounts to 2.50 per weekend you can't bark about the price. No issues with buffering either. They're making some serious money moves in locking up fighters so as HBO relinquishes its coverage they are filling the void quite adequately.

My question for anyone on here who can answer this is: can you install apps like this on your smart TV or do you have to get a Roku or Fire Stick? I have a 10 year old 50" Panasonic plasma but I'm going bigger and newer for Christmas. The Fire Stick has served me well so if I have to go with it on the new one, no biggie.




I would say not likely on the big box brands because they put the security stuff on there to keep you from downloading unauthorized apps or non brand apps.  If you choose to upgrade from the Firestick though get a stream smart.  I have a hookup for that too.
0
peezy28

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,445
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafikdetail


Nice too bad I have a fricking Sony lol and my Vizio is an older model so probably not on that.
0
marduk

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 602
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the tips Peezy and Grafik. At least I have some options and realistic expectations lol

Wife is handling the TV thing, at least the actual purchasing of it. I told her the specs to look for and that was it. All I have to do is find someone who can do the actual installation, which could be a challenge bc all the wiring was done as house was being built.

Everything is hidden in walls and runs to a closet under stairs about 8-10 feet away...guy who did the original install has passed away or I'd have him sort it out. He did some hack where he converted coax cable to component video plugs but that may not work with newer TV's since I think most have just HDMI.
0
peezy28

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,445
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marduk
Thanks for the tips Peezy and Grafik. At least I have some options and realistic expectations lol

Wife is handling the TV thing, at least the actual purchasing of it. I told her the specs to look for and that was it. All I have to do is find someone who can do the actual installation, which could be a challenge bc all the wiring was done as house was being built.

Everything is hidden in walls and runs to a closet under stairs about 8-10 feet away...guy who did the original install has passed away or I'd have him sort it out. He did some hack where he converted coax cable to component video plugs but that may not work with newer TV's since I think most have just HDMI.


Yup, its all HDMI now for the most part.  You only want HDMI if you actually want to enjoy the quality of the TV you buy... I wonder how difficult it could be... I have done a few of those for my own stuff.
0
marduk

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 602
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peezy28

Yup, its all HDMI now for the most part.  You only want HDMI if you actually want to enjoy the quality of the TV you buy... I wonder how difficult it could be... I have done a few of those for my own stuff.


I think you can clamp the HDMI plug interface onto the coax. It's perfectly capable of the necessary data transfer ability.

When we built the house the guy who did the install said that at the time HDMI wasn't recommended for longer than an 8 foot run. Pretty sure that's changed...or he was BS'ing me lol
0
peezy28

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,445
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marduk


I think you can clamp the HDMI plug interface onto the coax. It's perfectly capable of the necessary data transfer ability.

When we built the house the guy who did the install said that at the time HDMI wasn't recommended for longer than an 8 foot run. Pretty sure that's changed...or he was BS'ing me lol


What year was the house built?  sounds like he was bsing you LOL.  You can run a HDMI cord 50 ft if you want won't lose quality.
0
marduk

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 602
Reply with quote  #10 
House was built in '08. There was some truth to the component vs. HDMI at the time -- longer runs apparently diminished the picture quality. Plus at the time there wasn't a cord long enough (or at least expensive af) and I would've had to get extender plugs.

From what I have researched I'll have to get a little box to convert the signal (coax is analog and HDMI is obviously digital) but that's only about 20 bucks, so there shouldn't be any problems swapping out the TV's. 

Everyone but me has a bigger TV now and I hate when people drink my milkshake. This inequity shall soon cease.
0
FrmMagEditor

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #11 
Tis the season to get one. You can get a 50" smart TV for $250 or less. 
0
marduk

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 602
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmMagEditor
Tis the season to get one. You can get a 50" smart TV for $250 or less. 


Just got a pair of 65" televisions but I certainly didn't pay that little lol

They're being installed today, just in time for the conference championship games tomorrow and the NFL on Sunday. Hired professionals to do it because that type of task is best left to people who know how to do it.

Oh yeah, and there is the fights on Saturday night. Here's my $0.02:

Wilder will unleash fury on Fury. That fat slob won't make it past the 6th. This'll be the first time I can think of that DW is giving up a couple inches in both height and reach, but it won't matter because TF is not going to be able to withstand the onslaught of punches coming from all sorts of awkward angles. 

Only way Fury has a chance is if he sneaks in a laser guided missile of a counter to one of Wilder's looping shots and it hurts him. But he made it out alive from the war with Ortiz, who IMO hits harder and more accurately than Fury ever has or will, so I don't see this as likely. 

And I'll also predict that Stevenson gets beaten down by Gvozdyk. He, like the other elite Russian fighters such as Bivol and Usyk, will not get lured into being hit by that bomb job of a left; he'll be diligent and patient and will wear down AS, winning by either a decision or late TKO. Stevenson is overdue for an a*s whipping, having ducked the other elite LH's such as Kovalev, Alvarez and fellow Montrealer Beterbiev for literally years.
0
peezy28

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,445
Reply with quote  #13 
I could have installed those TV's for a few hunahpu and some good laughs my friend... Not a pro by nature but I got a few skills.
0
marduk

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 602
Reply with quote  #14 
I like you too much to wish that kind of torture upon you. And hanging these things is a 2 man job anyway.

I'll have to bring you a Hunahpu from this year. Good batch.

Hopefully I'll be able to work Hunahpu Day again, which gives you a free bottle and the option afterwards to purchase more. Not to mention the opportunity to get mulched for basically free, only had to pour a few beers for the brewery I was assigned.
0
peezy28

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,445
Reply with quote  #15 
My living room TV is a 70 I hung that solo concealed all wires behind the wall and all.  Its an art to it.  Also remember that trust rusty 50 inch plasma flat I have... Still got it... That f****r probably weighs like 80lbs and the remote control mount that holds it is probably 50lbs itself... I have had it since 08 so that means its been hung 5 times in my moves until now its final resting place in the bedroom until it dies.  Crazy thing about those plasmas is back when I bought it in 08 they were going for real cheap because they said they don't last long 3 year life max but they had great pictures... Well its now 10 years old.  Only issues I have had with it are the 2 of the 3 HDMI inputs have gone out... So once that last one goes it'll be time to trash heap it but the picture till this day is still immaculate.
0
marduk

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 602
Reply with quote  #16 
Damn yo...we're also replacing a 42" and a 50" plasma that still work fine. Bought those in '08 as well. They'll go upstairs in the guest bedrooms I suppose.

Can't really say I'm concerned that 8K res is coming soon since there's barely any programming that broadcasts in 4K. Maybe the younger folks will see a difference when they go to play Fortnite or Minecraft or Red Dead but I'm pretty sure that any improvements henceforth won't be noticed by my senior citizen eyesight.
0
peezy28

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,445
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marduk
Damn yo...we're also replacing a 42" and a 50" plasma that still work fine. Bought those in '08 as well. They'll go upstairs in the guest bedrooms I suppose.

Can't really say I'm concerned that 8K res is coming soon since there's barely any programming that broadcasts in 4K. Maybe the younger folks will see a difference when they go to play Fortnite or Minecraft or Red Dead but I'm pretty sure that any improvements henceforth won't be noticed by my senior citizen eyesight.


Yeah... 4K is a sham... as of now... nothing is broadcast in it... Unless your s serious Xbox or PS4 gamer and you spent for their newest versions of the same gen..

I don't get into the TV arms race... I look for the best deal at time of purchase and that's that.

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.